Friday, March 30, 2012

Review: Maybelline Pure Mineral concealer and Shu Uemura Point Cealer

As you already know I went to HK and I had a hard time controlling myself from buying everything in the Asian drugstores :) As promised I'd review some of the things, first up: liquid concealers!

I got myself a drugstore and a high end one, namely a Maybelline and a Shu Uemura one.

The Maybelline concealer comes in 2 shades: light and medium. The little tube contains 5.5ml and comes with a built-in brush.
After seeing some of the Youtubers using this I thought I'd give it a try. I think this is one of the better drugstore concealers out there. I think it's convenient because of its size,the coverage is good, it's cheap and I like the yellow undertone of it. It can look a little bit cakey if you apply too much product, so always start off with the tiniest amount you can get.

Maybelline Pure Mineral Concealer no1 light

Then we have our high end concealer: the Shu Uemura concealer which comes in 4 shades. It contains 2.8ml (half the Maybelline one!) and it's the kind you have to twist to let the product come out, so bye bye hygiene!
First of all I don't like the applicator, would have appreciated a brush type for the least. This twist kind of pen makes it difficult to control the amount you need, because it'll continue leaking out a little bit of product after you stopped twisting it. The remainder will dry on the applicator and get wasted, which is a bit of a shame if you pay that much for a concealer if you ask me.

On the other hand a little goes a long way, so I suggest you twist just a little bit at a time so you don't have to waste too much product. It reduces the discoloration on my face such as redness or dark circles, so it does the job a concealer has to do: exactly...conceal :) Oh, and have I mentioned that this product is TINY? Great for the travelers among us!

Shu Uemura Point Cealer 7YR-L light beige

Here's a swatch from both goodies:
left: Maybelline - right: Shu Uemura

Overall, I like them. I like the consistency and they're easy to blend. Don't use too much and you'll go a long way with both concealers. Best thing is to use a staying powder on the concealer, so it'll last much longer. I will definitely repurchase the Maybelline concealer again. Something I'm not sure I can say about the Shu Uemura one. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good concealer, I just really dislike the applicator. Change the applicator, and we have my HG concealer!

4 comments:

  1. Is the Maybelline concealer a mineral one?
    Interesting blog name, do check out my beauty blog too!
    www.project-couture.blogspot.com
    Much appreciated!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! I just followed you,
    would you mind taking a look at my blog?
    style-comes-from-within.blogspot.com
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete